02 July 2014

Hawaiian print dress in the making...

McCall's 5799
Here's my Hawaiian print dress in the making.  The fabric was an online purchase from the Hawaiian Fabric Mart in Honolulu, Hawaii, http://home.fabricmarts.com/.  The cost of fabric per yard is very reasonable but then, of course, there is shipping/handling to consider if you are a Mainland shopper like me.  Fabric Mart offers 100% cotton as well as poly/cotton blends.  Their variety of Hawaiian prints is staggering.  Most are large prints, as you can see in this photo.  The particular aqua print that I chose has a border print which runs along the selvedge on each side of the fabric.  The fabric is moderately lightweight; therefore, I am glad the dress pattern I selected calls for lining.  My greatest challenges in making this dress? 

1. How to lay out this beautiful but busy print for best effect; 2. The invisible zipper (self confidence issues); 3. Dress lining, not difficult but more work.  These challenges proved to be a non-issue as I went along; however, application was critical for a good finished dress.

McCall's 6123 - tah dah!
 

2 comments:

  1. This dress is just perfect for a warm summers day ~ love the fabric and how you have placed it ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Judith. What I learned and what l love best about this dress is that with a lining, wrinkling is minimal. Generally, I shy away from zippers and linings, silly me. Lesson learned.

      Delete